Friday, July 22, 2011

Here, there and yonder

Just when I thought I was safely back at home, Will tells me he is going to San Antonio this weekend for his grandmother's birthday and would like for me to go with him.  Cue me dragging my navy Vera Bradley duffle bag (and of course matching Vera bathroom bags) out of the closet...it's a good thing I love him.  At least I got 3 nights in my very own bed. 

On July 3rd, I began the long trek to Alabama.  My dad had already taken CC to his house, so I didn't have to travel with her.  I first stopped in Louisiana to spend some time with my Granddad.  For those of you who I haven't told, my Granddad was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer, and apparently it's pretty aggressive.  Luckily, his treatment doesn't require chemo or radiation, the doctors are injecting meds directly into his bladder, then he has to go home and lay on his back for 15 minutes, his side for 15, his stomach for 15 and his other side for 15.  We call this the rotisserie.  He began his first treatment this week, and will get one once a week for the next 5 weeks...we would appreciate if you kept him in your prayers. 

Anyway...I spent a few days in Lafayette hanging out with him.  The day I arrived, we went to the nursing home to visit my Gram, then met up with my Nanny, my cousin Kevin and his girlfriend Molly at my most favorite pizza place ever, Deano's!  On July 4th, we headed out to Butte LaRose to spend the day with some old family friends at their camp.  I haven't seen some of them in over 10 years (since I haven't lived in Louisiana since August of 2000), and it was nice to catch up.  Plus there was some great food! 

On July 5th, I repacked the car and continued East on I-10.  As I entered Alabama, I thanked God I was heading East and not West, where the traffic was backed up over 30 miles...I might have laughed a little as I sped by the West bound lanes...
I arrived at my dad's in the early afternoon and was greeted by an overly excited CC girl.  She had been with my dad for over 2 weeks.  My dad has 4 dogs, 2 small dogs and 2 really big labs.  CC is used to being an only child.  Her days consist of an early morning nap, a mid-morning nap, a late morning nap, a short trip in the backyard to sun bathe, an early afternoon nap, chewing on a bone/playing with a toy, a mid-afternoon nap, a walk, a late afternoon nap, dinner, playing on the floor/evening craziness, an evening nap, and of course, up to bed to snuggle under the covers...sometimes even before I make it upstairs.  (She has a rough life).  Her schedule was severely intrupted while in Alabama, in fact, I'm not sure she's quite recovered. 

On July 7th, I headed up to Greenville, AL to meet up with two great friends and carpool up to Camp SAM!  I spent a great 10 days with some of the most amazing people I know (both campers and counselors).  More on that to come, I think it deserves it's own post. 

I headed back to Texas a little early due to a change in plans.  Not ready to mention it yet, but maybe soon...

Anyway, I'm back (for the moment) in my own house.  I still have a few overnight stays planned for this summer (Yearbook Camp with Amanda and 10 8th graders and CHRP retreat at church), but at least they are local!!!  Now I'm just hanging out until it's time to go back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment