Monday, July 25, 2011

Hey Campers...

OK, I promised to post about camp, but I know that I won't be able to get the words right.  I have already posted pictures to facebook, so I won't repeat them here.   
I was introduced to Camp in 2000 by my Tri Delta sisters, but more importantly my roommate, Alisha.  As we became friends, Alisha told me one of the reasons she pledged Tri Delta is because of our work with St. Jude (our national philanthropy), and our chapter also took on a local philanthropy, Camp Smile-A-Mile (Camp SAM).  We both started going as counselors on the weekends when Camp was in session.  I fell in love with Camp immediately, and it has forever changed me as a person.  Camp is a place where I don't have to worry about what clothes I wear, what shoes I wear, what my grades are or even if someone will call/text (we have to surrender our phones while at Camp).  I don't have to worry about any of that stuff because CAMP IS ALL ABOUT THE KIDS! My needs and wants come well after everyone else's.  Aside from how Camp has changed my perspective on life, it has given me some amazing friends.  I am in constant contact with counselors and campers who have entered my life, and I can't imagine my life without them, even if I only get to see them once a year! 

On July 7th, we arrived at Camp...after lots of hugs and quick catch ups, we began getting ready for the kids to arrive.  We have a new program called Junior/Senior Weekend, a transition for the older teens.  We still have all the normal camp activities, but we also have mini-educational sessions to help transition to college and the real world.  This year we had a small group of only 25 campers, so it was nice to really get to spend time with the friends I have made over the years.  Most of the time, the campers just wanted to hang out, talk and enjoy each other's company.  I can't even begin to tell you how proud these young adults make me!  They have overcome so much in life and they are so grateful for what is given to them.  Sunday came way too soon and I miss those kids dearly!

On Monday, July 11th, the second session began, Teen Week, ages 13-15.  We had a larger group (41 kids) and of course any time you put 41 teens in a confined space drama is sure to ensue!  Dates were very quickly being snatched up for the dance, some kids were starting to pair off, while some couldn't care less about the opposite sex.  We had a great week of boat/banana rides, monkey fist making, arts a crafts, games, evening activities, swimming and dancing on tables to The Backstreet Boys.  While the days were hot and long, every short night's sleep was worth it!  By Wednesday, those of us who had been at Camp for a full week began to get a little loopy!  The lack of sleep, lack of energy and sometimes lack of sanity were always trying to pull us down, but we leaned on each other, cried with each other, laughed with each other and made memories that will last us until next year! 

Even though I live so far away, Camp is always in my heart.  I keep my first monkey's fist hanging from my rearview mirror to remind me that my problems aren't quite as big as they seem at the moment.  When I tell people that I volunteer at a Camp for children with cancer during the summers, I always get a positive reaction..."What an amazing thing you do!" "You are so good to give up your time!".  Yes, I have given Camp alot, but it in no way can compare to what Camp has DONE to me as a person, how it has CHANGED me as a person and the amazing people it brings to my life each year!  I could talk about Camp all day, but until you experience it, you'll never understand. 

Hey Campers....Hustle, Hustle, Hustle- HARD! 

No comments:

Post a Comment