Thursday, June 7, 2012

Education

I've seen several commercials lately that say the US is ranked (insert number here) when compared to other countries, especially in the areas of Science and Math.  While I agree something needs to be done, I think many people are going about it in the wrong way. 

1.  We need to create better teachers.  I partly agree with this, but not 100%.  Yes, there are crappy teachers who don't like their job and literally teach nothing in their class.  Students who are under-achievers usually love these teachers because they aren't held accountable in their class and they can be lazy and do whatever they want. Students who want to learn and be better hate these teachers because they realize they are being cheated (ask me how I know this...).   Unfortunately, school systems cannot get rid of these teachers because they are on "tenure".  Education is one of the only businesses I know that cannot fire employees for not doing their job. 

There are AWESOME teachers out there.  Teachers who really care about their students, and who really love their job.  It is evident to everyone who sees them teach that they have a passion for it.  

2.  We need to create harder/more challenging curriculums.  I'm not going to speak for other states (because I don't know what their curriculum is), but I don't think this is a valid argument.  Each student learns differently and to try to hold every 13 year old to the exact same standard is absurd.

3.  We need to incorporate more technology/more hands on/more fun in teaching.  Nope, sorry, if a kid doesn't want to learn, they don't want to learn.  Putting a computer in front of them won't make them magically want to learn, it will, however, make them see how far they can push the limits to use the technology incorrectly.  Previous generations learned without fancy computers. 

Not ONCE have I heard anything about parents holding their kids accountable.  No one does studies about involved parents vs uninvolved parents and how that effects students education.  
In my classroom experience, the students who continually did poorly were the same students whose parents never came to school events, never answered the phone when they saw the school's number pop up, who never emailed teachers, and who never checked their child's grades.  In the district I work in, we use "live" gradebooks that parents can access on-line 24 hours a day.  As soon as a teacher puts in grades, a parent can see them.  There is absoutely no excuse for not knowing what your child's grade is in my class.  
I don't buy the "But I'm a single parent" excuse.  Guess what, so was my mom.  My education was important to her, so she made it a priority.  She made sure she knew what my grades were and there were consequences when my grades weren't where she thought they should be.  I'm sure it wasn't easy for her and I'm sure there were things she would rather do than check on my grades, but it was important to her, and that taught me that education was important.  

There are TONS of parents who are involved in their kids lives, and those are the kids that do well.  Not saying that those kids don't miss deadlines everynow and then, don't fail a quiz every now and then, or forget to do homework sometimes, but on average, they do well.  These arents talk to teachers and ask about how their child is doing.  These parents know their child's teacher and check their grades on line. 

We can change everything we want in the classroom, but if parents don't find education important, chances are, students won't either.  We can have the best teachers, the most up-to-date technology, the most challenging curriculum, but until parents decide to step in and hold their children accountable, nothing is going to change.  No other country takes education for granted as much as the US does, and that's why they will always out rank us. 

6 comments:

  1. Hey, you forgot to mention ADD and ADHD... Since 92.3% of students have it now, that's gotta be on the list too... It's not the kid's fault.. they were born with it! (HAHAHA TOTALLY KIDDING) They're all hopped up on Caffeine, and taking their friend's mom's relaxation pills... HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Lauren. Since I am currently fully immersed in training a toddler obedience, submission, and effective discipline, I am constantly around parents with horrid discipline techniques. I try mu best not to judge, but I have a HUGE problem with parents who are opting for the attachment based discipline that promotes "positive" discipline, providing one and two years old with "options" instead of directly telling them "no" because they can't bear to be the parent, they are afraid their child isn't going to love them. I love God, but I fear him. Where there is obedience and submission, there is respect. If this discipline was effective, then I wouldn't have a problem, but these parents have NO control over their kids, yet go to the "every child is different" saying while their kid runs the show and calls the shots. How is this effective?

    This is two fold: I would be willing to bet that 90% of the parents who do not prioritize their child's education are the same ones who never learned how to tell their child no, the same parents whose households were run by their toddler, and the ones who are making it a much harder place for good parents to actually discipline their children. Have you noticed how parents nowadays are actually judged and looked down upon FOR DISCIPLING their children versus twenty years ago when you were looked down upon if you didn't? Don't you see a direct correlation between toddler discipline and kids adolescent behavior?

    Secondly, I am thinking of one teacher in particular that we both taught with. Because this teacher NEVER enforced discipline and was more concerned with being friend, confidant, and buddy, the end of year always brought great turmoil and stress. This being because the students had NO respect for a teacher whom THEY had controlled with entire year. I remember getting such stare downs FROM ADULT teachers who thought I was far too hard on students...the kids would say horrible things and complain about me, BUT THEY WERE LEARNING. They excelled every year. And in the last month of school when the aforementioned teacher was demanding respect and getting nothing in return, I was enjoying the students who continued to respect and honor me when they saw the results of their success.

    Teachers must demand respect and authority in their classrooms to be successful. Teachers are already up against a huge battle when parent involvement is minimal, but there is hope if the teacher prioritizes the child's education versus prioritizes being the "cool" teacher. Everyone wants to play at the "cool" parents house growing up because they no there are no rules. No requirements. Where there is not authority, there is no need for submission. SAME EXACT THING IN THE CLASS ROOM.

    {soap box off}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said friend! Unfortunately its with these kinds of issues I have no desire to go back and teach! I was coming home exhausted and upset on a DAILY basis to two kids who needed me when I walked in the door and a hubby who traveled full time. I was fed up spending all of my energy trying to help kids and parents, some of who never wanted it in the first place, not having anything left to give my own family! Lots of tears were shed...

    Oh, and don't get me started on how NOBODY could help me after I was assaulted by a 5 year old at school! He received 3 days of suspension, never apologized, nor did the parents. All because the teacher next door was yelling for help..... Nothing is more demeaning and humiliating to have a 5 year old punk beat on me in front of a room full of kids, while waiting for the principal to come in and drag him away. That was my last year to teach after I saw how my school, my district, my 'teacher's association' who shall not be named, and the local police completely ignored me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jennifer! I didn't realize it was this bad for you! You poor thing! We need to get together and share our sob stories!

      Delete
  4. You know how I feel, so I will save the long response! I just wanted to tell you how FABULOUS this is!!! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete