Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chic-Fil-A

First off, I want to say I think the whole Chic-fil-A thing has gotten out of hand.  Unfortunately, the radicals on both sides have let it get this way. 
I mentioned to Will the other day that I was kind of glad I lived in a conservative state, because then I won't have to vote for or against the legalization of gay marriage/civil unions.  I honestly don't know how I feel about it, and I don't think I could confidently vote either way. 

Some Christians preach that the biblical stance is against gay marriage, but I wonder if those same Christians check the clothing label on every item of clothing they wear, since the bible also discourages wearing clothes of blended thead (Leviticus 19:19). 

I wonder if they eat ham, bacon or anything else made from a pig (Leviticus 11:8).

I wonder if any of them have tattoos (Leviticus 19:28). 

I wonder if any of them eat lobster, crab, crawfish, oysters, clams, shrimp, etc (Leviticus 11:10). 

I wonder if any of the men shave their faces in the morning (Leviticus 19:27). 

I wonder if the women ever braid their hair, wear gold jewelry, or wear revealing/expensive clothes or shoes (1 Timothy 2:9).

I also wonder if people who are "boycotting" Chic-fil-A because of the owners comments or because the company is donating money to "undesirable causes" research what some of the other companies they buy products from donate to. Do they spend time looking up all the organizations that Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Kroger, etc give to.  Are they judging other companies the same way they are judging Chic-fil-A?

Yes, most of the above bible verses are found in the Old Testament, and many Christians focus more on the New Testament, especially the Gospels where Jesus teaches us to love one another, forgive one another, and leave the judgement up to someone who is more powerful than us. 

I am not a biblical scholar (in fact, I'm probably lacking in most of my biblical knowledge), I'm not a political activist (I will admit, I don't research issues as much as I should), I AM however a Catholic sinner.  I trust that I am forgiven for my sins, and I believe that others are as well. 

I honestly don't know how I feel about gay marriage/civil unions.  I have friends who are gay/lesbian, and I certainly don't think I am any better than they are because I am in love with a member of the opposite sex.  I don't want to deprive anyone the rights that I have.  On the other side, I believe in my church, and my church doesn't support the right for gay marriage.  

On a recent Facebook post, a friend wrote that we should take the word "marriage" out of the discussion and focus on civil unions, but even when you are married in a religious setting or married by a priest/minister, you still have to get a marriage license from the state.  When you go to the JP and have a legal ceremony, it's still considered a marriage, not a civil union, right? 

I'm sure people will say I'm missing something here, but this is my opinion.   

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Lauren. I completely understand where you are coming from. I, too, have gay friends and love them dearly. I wish I could support marriage for them, but it is very clear in the Bible that marriage is made between man and woman. Does that make me a hater of gay people? Or does that mean I judge them? Or that I am more righteous? Absolutely not! It just means that I stand firm upon the bible's clear stance on the biblical commandment of marriage solely between a man and woman. I am deeply saddened that because I stand firm on the word, that I am labeled anti-gay, judgmental, and a hater because that is absolutely NOT how I feel at all; I even battle within myself over the topic. There are two scriptures that I have really helped me through my own personal debate within how I feel. Romans 12:2 is very clear that we are not to conform to the ways of the world. The world is demanding something so clearing opposite of God does, therefore, no matter what my personal opinion is, I must stand true to the word of God, which leaves me standing in opposition to marriage of anyone other than a man and a woman. As for the persecution and bitterness that this causes people in opposition to feel, I rely on 2 Corinthians 4:7-12 for comfort which says, "7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. 12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you."

    The scripture above reminds me that I will persecuted for my belief in standing firm in God, even when it is difficult. The stronger Christian you are, the more the world is going to fight you. The world is fallen and evil and darkness is everywhere.

    As for the scriptures you referenced from the old testament, they were part of the Law of Moses which is what really differentiates Christians from the Jewish faith. When Jesus died on the cross for us, we were freed from the bondage of the Law of Moses which included the laws of defilement (meats, hair styles, live sacrifices, etc) . If you would like more explanation of this, I'd be more than happy to share with you scripture and talk it over with you. In fact, I'd love to write about it here, but Preslie's dermatologist appointment is in less than an hour and I need to wake her up and get her ready. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete