Monday, August 27, 2012

Traffic

I will warn you right now, this is not a happy post...it's an annoyed one! 

One of the things I like about living in the subburbs is that I don't have to deal with traffic on a regular basis.  I don't have to deal with interstates on a daily basis, and when I do have to deal with them, it's my choice! 

Saturday, Will and I got an invitation to meet some friends at the Cowboys pre-season game.  We were all going to sit in the "party deck" and you can't order those tickets over the phone ahead of time.  The game started at 7, so when we left my house before 5:30, I thought we would be ok.  I don't live far from Arlington, and it usually takes about 30-40 minutes to get to Cowboy Stadium. 

About halfway there, we realize that we don't have cash on us for parking.  Will finds an ATM and we pull in. There are two lines for the ATM, one is long, the other short.  Thinking we are smart, we pick the short one...note to self, there is a reason that line is short, the touch screen didn't work.  So we drove around the parking lot to get in the other line.  I'm not sure what the person actually using the ATM was doing, but I don't think he knew the proper use of an ATM.  We sat in line for almost 10 minutes before giving up and trying to find another bank, in all that time, I never saw the guy actually put money in or take money out of the machine.  He kept leaning out and pressing buttons, but nothing happened.  I mean, it's an ATM, it's not rocket science people...

So we head off, find another ATM, get cash, then head back on the road.  We thought we were back on track.  Then we got caught in traffic...really, really, really bad traffic, like no one actually moving traffic.  We could see Cowboy stadium, but we were not getting any closer to it! 

At 6:45, we still were not anywhere close to parking, so we decided to give up and go home.  We figured that by the time we parked, got tickets, and were able to watch the game, they would already be in the 2nd quarter and all the starters would be out.  I called our friends and told them to enjoy the night without us, we were going to watch the game at home (which worked out for me- I watched Teen Mom/Saints game upstairs while Will watched Cowboys downstairs). 

Today was the first day of school, so I knew traffic would be heavier than normal, since parents like to drop their kids off on the first day.  I left my house at 7:15, thinking it would take me at MOST 40 minutes to get to work with the increased traffic.  At 7:35, I turned on to Keller Hicks Road, the road that my school is on.  At 8:45 I turned in to the parking lot of my school, about 1.5 miles away.  Yep, an hour and ten minutes to go 1.5 miles, not because there was an accident, but because people can't pay attention, there is incomplete construction, and the lights were not timed correctly.  So, I was 45 minutes late on the first day of school...thank goodness I'm not in the classroom anymore, or I would have been a horrible example!

1 comment:

  1. UGH!!!!! So tired of all this traffic!!! P had her allergist appointment at 11:15, so I left my home at 10:30. Expecting it to take me 20 minutes to get the Southlake Town Square area, it took me 45! WHAT? At least 25 to cross the railroad track, which is usually ten minutes TOPS. Grr. I feel ya, girl.

    ReplyDelete