Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolutions

While I never really "seriously" make resolutions, I always jot down a few things I'd like to accomplish in the coming year.  Usually they are pretty typical like get back into better shape, budget better, keep in touch with out of town friends better, etc.  This year was slated for the same, until about 2 AM this morning. 

We spent a great NYE at our friends' house, with several other couples.  Shortly after midnight, we did a champagne toast, where each couple stated their highs from 2012 and their hopes for 2013.  We had lots going on in our little group this year and even more coming up in 2013. 

We arrived back home around 2 am, and I thought I was ready for bed, but  I just couldn't turn my mind off.  Part of me was feeling down on myself due to recent events and scenes just kept replaying in my mind.  I've been feeling quite invisible lately, even when I talk, I felt like no one was listening, so I just stopped talking.  I stopped giving my opinion, I stopped giving my suggestions, I just stopped, and if you know me, that takes quite a lot! 

As I lay in bed feeling sorry for myself, I began to realize how selfish I was being.  I have been blessed in so many ways this year, I cannot even begin to express how amazing 2012 has been to me!  In April, Will proposed in my home town, we've had nearly  somewhat flawless wedding planning experience, we've grown stronger as a couple, while still remaining strong individuals, we survived putting his house on the market and selling it fairly quickly, and house hunting and purchasing our "forever" home (although getting it ready for us to move in has been a train-wreck...one of us may not make it out alive).  I've found myself opening up more to friends and making myself more available when people need me.  While I will still never claim to be a "good Catholic", I think my relationship with Christ has grown.

At 3 AM, I decided on new "resolutions".  I want to be more thankful,  not just spiritually, but to others around me.  I wonder sometimes if I take too many people for granted.  I want to unplug more and connect with those in my life better.  I want to be a better person and not take so many things personally (something that is very difficult for me). 

If you have any ideas on how to help with these resolutions, I'd love to hear them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment