Friday, August 26, 2011

3 Weeks down, 37 more to go...

Well, I made it through my official first week of school in my new job...I didn't realize how hard the transition would be.  I'm sure it will get better when I feel more comfortable and more confident in myself, but this week has been rather hard. 
The first week back to work was ok, no one else, except administrators and the occasional office staff was working. 
The second week back was ok because everyone was in trainings and meetings. 
This week has been hard, I don't have the constant interaction that I'm used to and I must say I miss that.  I miss talking to people...I miss eating lunch with people.  I don't get to do that.  Once last week, I totally didn't eat lunch because I was just too busy.  It was 4 pm before I realized that I hadn't taken the time to eat the lunch I brought. 
Today was a similar day, between preparing stuff for next week and trying to coordinate meetings with ten thousand several people, but the time I got around to eating, all the other teachers had already eaten and were already teaching again.
Add to the fact that I'm on two campuses and don't feel like I have time to actually build personal relationships, these past few weeks have been a little lonely. 
On one of my campuses, I do have a "built in friend", a teacher who used to work at TSMS, so I feel comfortable with her and can go into her classroom and interact with her and her students.  On the second campus, I have made friends with one of the other staff members and have been able to talk to her quite often this week.  Baby steps. 
My goal for next week is to get out and talk to more teachers.  I need to step out of my box office and sit down with other teachers at lunch.  I need to introduce myself to people and get involved.  Baby steps. 

I really do like what I am doing now...I wouldn't say I love it, yet.  There is A LOT of new information to learn and a lot of questions to ask.  I've started just making lists of questions to ask my mentor when I see her. There are some other great diags who have helped me these past three weeks, and I'm very appreciatve of them!  I could not have made it this far without their help, and they are still offering more help!  Hopefully I can "pay it forward" one day. 

I was able to go to swim tryouts this week.  It was GREAT to see my old team!  They were all excited to get back in the water and get started with preparing for the upcoming season.  I'm so sad that I won't be there to lead them, but I know they will be amazing!  I fully plan on attending as many meets as I can and hopefully helping out at some of them...after all, I did make the schedule, I should be able to make at least some of them! I am so proud of them in so many areas, in and out of the athletic world.  They are truly an amazing group of young adults and my mornings will never be the same without them (although I love my alarm clock not going off until 6:00 am!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment