Friday, March 25, 2011

Why do we have sinuses?

Why do we have sinuses when they cause us so much pain? What is the point? I don't see any, other than to make my past two weeks to be yucky!

It started two weeks ago, right before spring break. My throat was scratchy, I lost my voice, but otherwise I was ok. Then I got my voice back, but it brought a cough along with it. The cough didn't go away, but I did inherit a stuffy nose. Over the past few days I've gone through an entire box and a half of tissues...I didn't know that much snot could be in one person.

I've tried everything I could think of, steam treatments, over the counter, pressure points, netti pot...nothing worked. Finally today I went to Care Now. Luckily, there were no other sick people there, so I was seen fairly quickly.

When the doctor came in to examine me, she, of course, asked what was wrong. I told her I had a sinus infection. She asked what my symptoms were and how long they had been affecting me. After looking into my ears, nose and throat, listening to my chest and asking a few questions, the very nice doctor finally said what I already told her, a sinus infection and bronchitis. I know I didn't go to medical school, but I do know my body. I should have gotten a discount for already knowing my diagnosis...I saved her some work. So she gave me a presecription for a Z-Pack and an inhaler and sent me along my way.

So as I sit here, wanting to peel my face off with my bare hands just to release the pressure in my head, waiting for the Z-pack to kick in, I can't help but wonder...why do we really need sinuses anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment