Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Coaching

I'm getting into my groove in my new job and really enjoying what I do.  I get to see kids for awhile, then, if they get on my nerves, send them back to their teacher to annoy them.  Win-win! I'm getting my footing and not having to ask quetions every 5 seconds. 

I do miss teaching...well, parts of it.  I don't miss the lesson plans or the grading.  I don't miss calling parents to tell them their child was written up or is failing (I was never good at those phone calls anyway).  I miss the kids, I miss the comments, I miss the meetings with other teachers laughing about something that happened in class.  I miss seeing the "lightbulb" moments, I miss telling a kid who was "on the bubble" they passed TAKS, I miss hearing all the "Good Things" they share with me at the beginning of each class.  I miss the, "Coach Winck, can I talk to you?" moments. 

While I miss teaching, I am HEARTBROKEN that I am not coaching this year!  I absoutely adored my Fossil Ridge swimmers.  We weren't the biggest team, we weren't the fastest team, but we were the best TEAM. 

Most people thought I was crazy for waking up at 4:30 am each morning and beginning swim practice at 6am each and every morning.  My swimmers made it worth it.  They came in each morning ready to push themselves further than they had the day before.  They did their workouts without question and they trusted me entirely, even though sometimes I'm sure I didn't deserve it.  They inspired each other and they inspired me each and every day.  They cheered for each other, they encouraged each other, they looked out for each other, they cheered for athletes on other Keller teams, they set goals for themselves and the team- then surpassed them.  They made me smile every morning! They celebrated together and more importantly, they included me in their celebration! They kept me on my toes and pushed me to be a better coach.  They asked to be pushed harder and wanted to work more. 

I hated giving my team over to another's hands.  I put so much of myself into that team, I almost didn't apply for my new position because I couldn't imagine someone else coaching the Fossil Ridge Swim Team. 

What I love most is that they still contact me!  The ones that graduated come back to swim with the team over holiday breaks.  They text and ask how the team is doing.  And the kids that are still on the team text me and tell me how they did in their races.  I missed the first meet of the season, but I fully intend on being at the next meet and cheering on my former swimmers and watching them continue to grow as adults. 
I hope they know how much I loved being their coach and that I still think of them every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment