Friday, January 6, 2012

A Trip to the Winery

During the NYE day, Will and I ventured off on our own to find some wineries.  I had never been to tastings at vineyards before, so I was excited about trying new places.  It was a near perfect day out, so we were both excited to venture away from in great indoors. 

When we typed in "Winery" to the search function on our phones' GPSs, tons of pins popped up within a 30 mile radius.  We looked at the names of the wineries and Spicewood called out to me, so we set off to find the place, about 15 miles away. 

We had to travel for a little over a mile on a narrow road that had several "cattle bridges".  Since it's not the growing season, none of the vines had grapes or greenery on them...I must say, I was a little disappointed that the vision in my head didn't match the vision outside of my windshield. 

We sat down and for $5 each, tried 8 different wines.  It was nice to try different wines and hear what went into the making of them.  I like reading what ingredients go into the wines and I'm always surprised when I see things like vanilla in red wine!  The staff was friendly and very helpful and the winery was beautiful!  We ended up purchasing a bottle of Merlot.  I was a little too excited about buying my first bottle of wine straight from the vineyard!
They had a cute little pond/creek outside where we stopped to take some pictures.  In the creek, there were some bright orange fish swimming around in little schools. 





After our tasting and buying, we hopped back in the car to another winery.  I must say, I am so glad we chose to go to Stone House.  It couldn't have been more perfect!  We got to sit outside for our tastings, we had 9 "glasses" of great wine and we got to meet the sweet owner of the vineyard!  She is originally from Australia and still has family vineyards there.  Her name is Angela and my favorite wine from Stone House was a special Cab/Shiraz blend called "Angela's Wish".  I loved buying a bottle of "Angela's Wish" from Angela herself! I almost don't want to open it, but it was soo good! 
Hi Angela!
                                        


We ended up buying a second wine from Stone House, a Mourvedre that was to die for! 

Happy Wining!

No comments:

Post a Comment