Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart 15

Today I am thankful that I have always had a job that challenges me, each and every day. 

As a teacher, it doesn't matter how planned out your lesson plans are, how many time you have counted the copies you've made, how many computers you have logged on to save time, how organized your materials are, how wonderful your powerpoint is...SOMETHING WILL GO WRONG!  You will get a new student that day and not have enough materials, your projecter bulb will decided to go out, the district network will decide to fail, so you can't get to all of your wonderful lesson that is housed safely in your on-line lesson planner, you get the picture. 

There is always something that can go wrong in the classroom, and most often, it does.  You have to keep calm, keep order and pretend you know what you are doing so you don't look like a major dork in front of 30 7th graders. 

With my new position, I'm still learning every day.  I'm learning how to manage my time without bells, I'm learning (and loving) how to organize my office so that I can easily access things when I need them, I'm learning how to interact with elementary school children (something that's always scared me).  I'm also learning to let go of my pride and ask questions of others.  If you know me, you know I like to pretend to know just about everything and feel uncomfortable when I don't know the answer.  Normally, I would try and try to figure out the answer and finally break down and ask.  I'm learning that it is ok to ask from the beginning...saves quite a bit of time in the long run. 

I'm also learning that things are changing faster than I can keep up with the change, and communication is a key factor in that change.  Some people know what's going on, some think they know but really don't, and some have no clue.  Put all of those minds in one room and things get a little crazy.  As soon as I get wind of new information, I have gotten into the habit of printing it out and pinning it to my office wall...soon my wall will be "re-wallpapered", but it works for me. 

I'm thankful that I don't do dull, mundane work.  I have a job that challenges me mentally, and I enjoy learning new things each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment